Master Clinician Award
Given annually, the purpose of the Master Clinician Award is to recognize up to two University of Virginia faculty physicians with the reputation of being the “doctors’ doctor;” the faculty physicians to whom their colleagues turn to assist in managing complicated patients, care for family members, or serve as their personal physician.
$5,000 each for up to two physician faculty members who demonstrate outstanding clinical service.
June 21, 2019
UVa-employed faculty physicians who spend a minimum of 50% of their time devoted to patient care (direct patient care and/or supervised care with students and/or residents). Eligible faculty physicians include those representing the University of Virginia School of Medicine and University of Virginia Physicians Group. Nominees must demonstrate at an exemplary level the UVA Health System’s ASPIRE values.
All SOM faculty and UVa Health System clinicians may nominate an eligible UVA faculty physician.
The award winners will be announced by the Dean. The Dean will notify each awardee’s Department Chair. The Dean’s Office will be responsible for appropriate publicity in University and non-University publications.
The Selection Committee will review all nominations and select up to two awardees. The selection committee consists of
- the President of the Clinical Staff, who will chair the selection committee that is comprised of
- the Vice President of the Clinical Staff
- the Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs,
- three previous recipients of the Dean’s Clinical Excellence award
- and all previous recipients of the Master Clinician Award.
The committee is advisory to the Dean who will make the final selection.
Send an electronic copy of the nomination packet as a single PDF through the below button below.
Contact Ashley Ayers
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae
- A nominating letter not to exceed three pages that addresses how the nominee demonstrates the attributes outlined in the purpose of this award.
- A statement from the nominee’s department chair, division chief, or supervisor that attests to the nominee’s exemplary demonstration of the UVA Health System’s ASPIRE values.
- Up to five letters of endorsement of which two should be from referring physicians or clinicians outside the nominee’s department, including physician colleagues and/or other members of the clinical staff or health system, e.g., nurses. Letters from patients are also encouraged.