Dean’s Excellence in Teaching Award
The University of Virginia School of Medicine Awards for Excellence in Teaching recognize faculty who excel in teaching students, including medical students, biomedical sciences (BIMS) PhD candidates, or MPH candidates. This award is not intended for GME activities.
$1,500 and a gift
June 21, 2019
Any student (medical student, biomedical sciences (BIMS) PhD candidate, or MPH candidate) may nominate one faculty member per year according to the listed criteria. All faculty and students will receive a copy of the call for nominations.
Nominees must demonstrate exemplary compliance with the UVA Health System’s ASPIRE values. Nominees must be faculty members of the University of Virginia School of Medicine with a rank of Assistant Professor or above who have not received the Robley Dunglison Award, the Robert Bennett Bean Award, or the University of Virginia School of Medicine Award for Excellence in Teaching within the past three years.
The award winners will be announced by the Dean. The Dean will notify each awardee’s Department Chair. The Dean’s Office will be responsible for appropriate publicity in University and non-University publications. The Mulholland and Graduate Biosciences Societies will announce the award winners to the relevant student bodies.
The Selection Committee will review all nominations and select up to five awardees. The committee is advisory to the Dean who will make the final selection. The selection committee will be composed of the following:
- A representative from the Educators’ Academy Steering Committee
- The Vice President of the Mulholland Society
- The President of the 4th year class
- One student selected by the Associate Dean for Student Affairs
- The President of the Graduate Biosciences Society
- The Vice President of the Graduate Biosciences Society
- One student selected by the Associate Dean for Graduate and Medical Sciences Programs
- The most recent Dunglison awardee
- The most recent Bean awardee
Send nomination packet as a single PDF to Ashley Ayers.
Contact Ashley Ayers
- The University of Virginia School of Medicine Award for Excellence in Teaching Nomination Form
- Primary nominating letter from a student (medical student, biomedical sciences (BIMS) PhD candidate, or MPH candidate) (1 page)
- Executive summary from a faculty member familiar with the nominee’s teaching/mentoring (it is recommended that the primary nominating party contact a faculty member who is familiar with the nominee’s teaching activities). This summary should describe the nominee’s teaching/mentoring activities and include supporting evidence of the nominee’s educational excellence and worthiness for the award (1 page limit).
- A statement from the nominee’s department chair or division chief that attests to the nominee’s exemplary demonstration of the UVA Health System’s ASPIRE values
- Up to 3 additional letters/testimonials from students (medical students, biomedical sciences (BIMS) PhD candidates, or MPH candidates) and/or trainees (postdoctoral fellows) (1 page limit per letter)
- An updated curriculum vitae
- Relevant portions of the teaching portfolio (optional)