Journal Club Article Citations
- Tuesday, November 5, 2019, Snook, Abigail Grover, et al. “Factors Predicting Identity as Educators and Openness to Improve: an Exploratory Study.” Medical Education, vol. 53, no. 8, 2019, pp. 788–798., doi:10.1111/medu.13909
- Wednesday, October 9, 2019, Laura Farrell, Gisele Bourgeois-Law, Sarah Buydens & Glenn Regehr (2019) “Your Goals, My Goals, Our Goals: The Complexity of Coconstructing Goals with Learners in Medical Education.” Teaching and Learning in Medicine, 31:4, 370-377, DOI: 10.1080/10401334.2019.1576526
- Tuesday, September 10, 2019: Doobay-Persaud, A., Adler, M.D., Bartell, T.R. et al. “Teaching the Social Determinants of Health in Undergraduate Medical Education: a Scoping Review.” J GEN INTERN MED (2019) 34: 720., doi.org/10.1007/s11606-019-04876-0
- Tuesday, June 11, 2019: Molloy, Elizabeth, and Margaret Bearman. “Embracing the Tension between Vulnerability and Credibility: ‘Intellectual Candour’ in Health Professions Education.” Medical Education, vol. 53, no. 1, 2019, pp. 32–41., doi:10.1111/medu.13649
- Tuesday, May 14, 2019: Jonas, Christopher E., et al. “An Interdisciplinary, Multi-Institution Telehealth Course for Third-Year Medical Students.” Academic Medicine, 2019, p. 1., doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000002701. King, Sarah L., and Scott A. Shipman. “Telehealth in Academic Medicine.” Academic Medicine, 2019, p. 1., doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000002708.
- Tuesday, April 9, 2019: Irby, David. “Educating Physicians for the Future: Carnegies Calls for Reform.” Medical Teacher, vol. 33, no. 7, 2011, pp. 547–550., doi:10.3109/0142159x.2011.578173. Stevens, Carl D. “Repeal and Replace? A Note of Caution for Medical School Curriculum Reformers.” Academic Medicine, vol. 93, no. 10, 2018, pp. 1425–1427., doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000002219.Wartman, Steven A., and C. Donald Combs. “Medical Education Must Move From the Information Age to the Age of Artificial Intelligence.” Academic Medicine, vol. 93, no. 8, 2018, pp. 1107–1109., doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000002044.
- Tuesday, March 12, 2019: McMillan, Julia A., and Laurel K. Leslie. “Pediatric Residency Education and the Behavioral and Mental Health Crisis: A Call to Action.” Pediatrics, American Academy of Pediatrics, 1 Jan. 2017, pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/139/1/e20162141.
- Tuesday, February 12, 2019: Boyd, Victoria A, et al. “Competency-Based Medical Education: the Discourse of Infallibility.” Medical Education, vol. 52, no. 1, 2018, pp. 45–57., doi:10.1111/medu.13467.
- Tuesday, January 8, 2019: Royce Celeste S. MD; Hayes Margaret M. MD; Schwartzstein Richard M. MD. “Teaching Critical Thinking: A Case for Instruction in Cognitive Biases to Reduce Diagnostic Errors and Improve Patient Safety.” Academic Medicine, Nov 2018. doi:10.1097/ACM.0000000000002518.
Optional Article: Dr Abraham Fuks, Joseph Donald Boudreau & Eric J. Cassell (2009). “Teaching clinical thinking to first-year medical students.” Medical Teacher, 31:2, 105-111, doi:10.1080/01421590802512979
- Tuesday, December 11, 2018: Mueller AS, Jenkins TM, Osborne M, Dayal A, O’Connor DM, Arora VM. Gender Differences in Attending Physicians’ Feedback to Residents: A Qualitative Analysis. J Grad Med Educ. 2017 Oct;9(5):577-585
- Tuesday, November 13, 2018 : Wyatt, T. R., Egan, S. C., & Phillips, C. The Resources We Bring: The Cultural Assets of Diverse Medical Students. Journal of Medical Humanities. 2018 doi.org/10.1007/s10912-018-9527-z
- Tuesday, October 9, 2018: Kalet, Adina, et al. Measuring Professional Identity Formation Early in Medical School. Medical Teacher, vol. 39, no. 3, 2016, pp. 255–261., doi:10.1080/0142159x.2017.1270437
- Tuesday, September 11, 2018: Tavares, Walter, et al. Asking for Less and Getting More. Academic Medicine, 2018, p. 1., doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000002294.
- Tuesday, June 12, 2018: Mcgaghie, William C. Evaluation Apprehension and Impression Management in Clinical Medical Education. Academic Medicine, vol. 93, no. 5, 2018, pp. 685–686., doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000002143.Ladonna, Kori A., et al. Rising to the Level of Your Incompetence: What Physician’s Self-Assessment of Their Performance Reveals About the Imposter Syndrome in Medicine. Academic Medicine, vol. 93, no. 5, 2018, pp. 763–768., doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000002046.Patel, Priyanka, et al. Fake It ‘Til You Make It: Pressures to Measure Up in Surgical Training. Academic Medicine, vol. 93, no. 5, 2018, pp. 769–774., doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000002113.
- Tuesday, May 8, 2018: Leeuw, Renée M. Van Der, et al. Broadening the Scope of Feedback to Promote Its Relevance to Workplace Learning. Academic Medicine, vol. 93, no. 4, 2018, pp. 556–559., doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000001962.
- Tuesday, April 10, 2018: Hamidi, Maryam S, et al. Running on Empty: a Review of Nutrition and Physicians Well-Being. Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 92, no. 1090, 2016, pp. 478–481., doi:10.1136/postgradmedj-2016-134131.
- Tuesday, March 8, 2018: Improving Resident Journal Club. During this session, an overview of resident journal club goals will be presented in addition to ways in which journal club can be better structured to help meet these goals. By the end of this presentation, participants will be able to define the goals of resident journal clubs and discuss ways in which resident journal clubs can be structured in order to optimize attendance levels, critical appraisal education, and active engagement of participants.
- Tuesday, February 13, 2018: Casiro, Oscar, and Glenn Regehr. Enacting Pedagogy in Curricula. Academic Medicine, vol. 93, no. 2, 2018, pp. 179–184., doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000001774.
- Tuesday, January 9, 2018: Gonzalo, Jed D., et al. How Can Medical Students Add Value? Identifying Roles, Barriers, and Strategies to Advance the Value of Undergraduate Medical Education to Patient Care and the Health System. Academic Medicine, vol. 92, no. 9, Sept. 2017, pp. 1294–1301., doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000001662
- Tuesday, December 12, 2017: Wu, Bian, et al. Visualizing complex processes using a cognitive-Mapping tool to support the learning of clinical reasoning. BMC Medical Education, vol. 16, no. 1, 2016, doi:10.1186/s12909-016-0734-x.
- Tuesday, November 14, 2017: Mink, Richard B., et al. Validity of Level of Supervision Scales for Assessing Pediatric Fellows on the Common Pediatric Subspecialty Entrustable Professional Activities. Academic Medicine, 2017, p. 1., doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000001820.
- Tuesday, October 10, 2017: Kogan, Jennifer R, et al. Opening the black box of clinical skills assessment via observation: a conceptual model. Medical Education, vol. 45, no. 10, 2011, pp. 1048–1060. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2923.2011.04025.x.
- Tuesday, September 12, 2017: Bowen, Lucy, et al. Medical Student Perceptions of Feedback and Feedback Behaviors within the Context of the “Educational Alliance”. Academic Medicine, 2017, p. 1., doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000001632.
- Tuesday, May 9, 2017: Mortsiefer, A., Karger, A., Rotthoff, T., Raski, B., & Pentzek, M. (2017). Examiner characteristics and interrater reliability in a communication OSCE. Patient Education and Counseling, (100), 1230-1234. Retrieved from https://www.journals.elsevier.com/patient-education-and-counseling
- Tuesday, April 11, 2017: Briggs, Charlotte, Alison Doubleday, and Charlotte Briggs. Group Learning Assessments as a Vital Consideration in the Implementation of New Peer Learning Pedagogies in the Basic Science Curriculum of Health Profession Programs. Journal of Medical Education and Curricular Development (2016): 97. Web.
- Tuesday, March 14, 2017: Kok, Ellen M., and Halszka Jarodzka. Before your very eyes: the value and limitations of eye tracking in medical education. Medical Education 51.1 (2016): 114-22. Web.
- Tuesday, February 14, 2017: Kulasegaram, Kulamakan M., Zarah Chaudhary, Nicole Woods, Kelly Dore, Alan Neville, and Geoffrey Norman. Contexts, concepts and cognition: principles for the transfer of basic science knowledge. Medical Education 51.2 (2017): 184-95. Web. Figure S1. Table S1.
- Tuesday, January 10, 2017: Hawkins, Richard E., Catherine M. Welcher, Eric S. Holmboe, Lynne M. Kirk, John J. Norcini, Kenneth B. Simons, and Susan E. Skochelak. Implementation of competency-based medical education: are we addressing the concerns and challenges? Medical Education 49.11 (2015): 1086-102. Web.
- Tuesday, December 13, 2016: Schmidt, Henk G., and Sílvia Mamede. How to Improve the Teaching of Clinical Reasoning: A Narrative Review and a Proposal. Medical Education 49.10 (2015): 961-73. Web.
- Tuesday, November 8, 2016: Norman, Geoffrey R., Sandra D. Monteiro, Jonathan Sherbino, Jonathan S. Ilgen, Henk G. Schmidt, and Sylvia Mamede. The Causes of Errors in Clinical Reasoning. Academic Medicine (2016): 1. Web.
- Tuesday, October 11, 2016: Chan, T. M., Thoma, B., & Lin, M. (2015). Creating, curating, and sharing online faculty development resources: the medical education in cases series experience. Academic Medicine: Journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges, 90(6), 785–789.
- Tuesday, September 13, 2016: Rekman, J., W. Gofton, N. Dudek, T. Gofton, and S.J. Hamstra. Entrustability Scales: Outlining Their Usefulness for Competency- Based Clinical Assessment. Academic Medicine 91.2 (2016): 186-90. Web.
- Tuesday, May 10, 2016 : Ogur, Barbara, and David Hirsh. Learning Through Longitudinal Patient Care—Narratives From the Harvard Medical School–Cambridge Integrated Clerkship. Academic Medicine 84.7 (2009): 844-50. Web.
- Tuesday, April 12, 2016: Mccoy, Lise, Robin K. Pettit, Joy H. Lewis, J. Aaron Allgood, Curt Bay, and Frederic N. Schwartz. Evaluating Medical Student Engagement during Virtual Patient Simulations: A Sequential, Mixed Methods Study. BMC Medical Education BMC Med Educ 16.1 (2016). Web.
- Tuesday, March 08, 2016: Marton, Gregory E., Brendan McCullough, and Christopher J. Ramnanan. A Review of Teaching Skills Development Programmes for Medical Students. Medical Education 49 (2014): 149-160.
- Tuesday, February 09, 2016: Pusic, Martin V., Kathy Boutis, Rose Hatala, and David A. Cook. Learning Curves in Health Professions Education. Academic Medicine: 1034-042. Print.
- Tuesday, January 12, 2016: Sargeant, Joan, Jocelyn Lockyer, Karen Mann, Eric Holmboe, Ivan Silver, Heather Armson, Erik Driessen, Tanya Macleod, Wendy Yen, Kathryn Ross, and Mary Power. Facilitated Reflective Performance Feedback: Developing an Evidence- and Theory-Based Model That Builds Relationship, Explores Reactions and Content, and Coaches for Performance Change (R2C2). Academic Medicine 90 (2015): 1698-706. Print
- Tuesday, December 08, 2015: Lisk, Kristina, John F. Flannery, Eldon Y. Loh, Denyse Richardson, Anne M.r. Agur, and Nicole N. Woods. Determination of Clinically Relevant Content for a Musculoskeletal Anatomy Curriculum for Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Residents. Anatomical Sciences Education American Association of Anatomists 7.2 (2013): 135-43. Web.
- Tuesday, November 10, 2015: Kampmeyer, Daniela, Jan Matthes, and Stefan Herzig. Lucky Guess or Knowledge: A cross-sectional study using the Bland and Altman analysis to compare confidence-based testing of pharmacological knowledge in 3rd and 5th year medical students. Advances in Health Sciences Education 20 (2015): 431-40. Print.
- Tuesday, October 13, 2015: Turkle, Sherry. How to Teach in an Age of Distraction. The Chronicle of Higher Education (2015). Web.
- Tuesday, September 08, 2015: (1.) Burgess, A., McGregor, D. & Mellis, C. (2014) Applying Established Guidelines to Team-Based Learning Programs in Medical Schools: A Systematic Review. Academic Medicine.89(4), 678–688. (2.) Lane, D. (2012). Peer Feedback Processes and Individual Accountability in Team-Based Learning. In M. Sweet & L. Michaelsen (Eds.) Team-Based Learning in the Social Sciences and Humanities: Group Work that Works to Generate Critical Thinking and Engagement (pp.51-62). Stylus Publishing.
- Tuesday, June 09, 2015: (1.) Hu, Y-Y et al. Post Game Analysis: Using Video-Based Coaching for Continuous Professional Development. 2012. J Am Coll Surg 214(1):115-124. (2.) Background article, for context: Sullivan ME et al. Assessing the teaching of procedural skills: can cognitive task analysis add to our traditional teaching methods?. 2008. Amer J of Surgery 195:20-23.
- Tuesday, May 12, 2015: Kodner, C., and Bohnert, C. The Longitudinal Standardized Patient Project: Innovation From Necessity. Academic Medicine, 90(3) March 2015, 317-320
- Tuesday, April 14, 2015: Cooke, Molly, Irby, David, and O’Brien, Bridget. Summary of Educating Physicians: A Call for Reform of Medical School and Residency. Realizing the Vison: Transforming Medical Education. Stanford: Jossey-Bass, 2010. 213-245. Print.
- Tuesday, March 10, 2015: (1.) Tuesday, March 10, 2015 1. Tucker, P., et al. Do Medical Student Stress, Health, or Quality of Life Foretell Step 1 Scores? A Comparison of Students in Traditional and Revised Preclinical Curricula. Teaching and Learning in Medicine 21(1), 63-70. (2) Hecker, K. and Violato, C. How Much Do Differences in Medical Schools Influence Student Performance? A Longitudinal Study Employing Hierarchical Linear Modeling. Teaching and Learning in Medicine, 20(2), 104–113.
- Tuesday, February 10, 2015: (1.) Stark, P. and Freishtat, R. An Evaluation of Course Evaluations. (2.) Benton, S. Student Ratings of Teaching: A Summary of Research and Literature. The IDEA Center. Idea paper #50.
- Tuesday, January 13, 2015: Reddy ST, Chao J, Carter JL et al. Alliance for clinical education perspective paper: recommendations for redesigning the ‘final year’ of medical school. Teach Learn Med. 2014;26(4):420-7.
- Tuesday, December 09, 2014: Mylopoulo, M., Woods, N. Preparing medical students for future learning using basic science instruction. Medical Education 2014; 48: 667–673.
- Tuesday, November 11, 2014: Hirsh, D., et al. Educational Outcomes of the Harvard Medical School–Cambridge Integrated Clerkship: A Way Forward for Medical Education. Academic Medicine 2012:87;643–650.
- Tuesday, October 14, 2014: What’s a good doctor and how do you make one? BMJ Volume 325. 28 September 2002.
- Tuesday, September 09, 2014: O’Brien, B.C., et al. Standards for Reporting Qualitative Research: A Synthesis of Recommendations. Academic Medicine. 2014:89:1245-1251.
- Tuesday, June 10, 2014: J. Q. Young et al. Cognitive Load Theory: Implications for medical education: AMEE Guide No. 86. Medical Teacher. 2014, 36: 371–384.
- Tuesday, May 20, 2014: Neumann, M., Edelhäuser, F., Tauschel, D., Fischer, M., Wirtz, M., Woopen, C., Haramati, A., and Scheffer, C. Empathy Decline and Its Reasons: A Systematic Review of Studies With Medical Students and Residents. Academic Medicine, August 2011;86:996–1009.
- Tuesday, April 01, 2014: Gowda, D., Blatt, B., Fink, M. J., Kosowicz, L., Baecker, A., Silvestri, R. A Core Physical Exam for Medical Students: Results of a National Survey. Academic Medicine, March 2014; 89(3): 436-442
- Tuesday, March 11, 2014: (1.) Winston, K., Van Der Vleuten, C., Scherpbier, A. Remediation of at-risk medical students: theory in action. BMC Medical Education 2013, 13:132. (2.) Bouton, C., Garth, R. Students in Learning Groups: Active Learning Through Conversation. New Directions for Teaching and Learning 1983, 14: 73-82.
- Tuesday, February 04, 2014: Haight, S., Chibnall, J., Schindler, D., and Slavin, S. Associations of Medical Student Personality and Health/Wellness Characteristics With Their Medical School Performance Across the Curriculum. Medical Education 2012: 87: 476-485.
- Tuesday, January 14, 2014: Cleland, J., Leggett, H., Sandars, J., Costa, M., Patel, R., Moffat, M. The remediation challenge: theoretical and methodological insights from a systematic review. Medical Education 2013: 47: 242–251.
- Tuesday, December 10, 2013: (no journal club scheduled)
- Tuesday, November 12, 2013: Cilliers, F., Schuwirth, L., Herman, N., Adendorff, H., van der Vleuten, C. A model of the pre-assessment learning effects of summative assessment in medical education. Adv in Health Sci Educ (2012) 17:39–53.
- Tuesday, October 08, 2013: Kulasegaram, K., Martimianakis, M., Mylopoulos, M., Whitehead, C., Woods, N. Cognition Before Curriculum: Rethinking the Integration of Basic Science and Clinical Learning. Academic Medicine October 2013; 88(10): 1-8
- Tuesday, September 17, 2013: (1.) Sargeant J, Armson H, Chesluk B, Dornan T, Eva K, Holmboe E, Lockyer J, Loney E, Mann K, van der Vleuten C. The processes and dimensions of informed self-assessment: a conceptual model. Academic Medicine 2010; 85(7): 1212-1220.
- Wednesday, June 12, 2013: Holaday, M., Smith, D., and Sherry, A. Sentence Completion Tests: A Review of the Literature and Results of a Survey of Members of the Society for Personality Assessment. Journal of Personality Assessment 2000, 74(3), 371-383. (2.) Baxter Magolda, M. A Constructivist Revision of the Measure of Epistemological Reflection. Journal of College Student Development 2001, 42(6) 520-534.
- Wednesday, May 08, 2013: Schuwirth, L. et al. Research in assessment: Consensus statement and recommendations from the Ottawa 2010 Conference. Medical Teacher 2011; 33:224–233.
- Wednesday, April 10, 2013: Jarvis-Selinger, S., Pratt, D., Regehr, G. Competency Is Not Enough: Integrating Identity Formation Into the Medical Education Discourse. Academic Medicine 2012; 87:9:1-6
- Wednesday, March 13, 2013: Lipsett, P., Harris, I., Downing, S. Resident self-other assessor agreement: influence of assessor, competency, and performance level. Archives of Surgery 2011; 146(8):901-906
- Wednesday, February 13, 2013: van Boven, L., Loewenstein, G., Welch, E., Dunning, D. The illusion of courage in self-predictions: mispredicting one’s own behavior in embarrassing situations. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making 2012; 25:1-12
- Wednesday, January 09, 2013: Lingard, L. Qualitative research in the RIME community: critical reflections and future directions. Academic Medicine 2007 (Supplement); 82(10):S129-S130.
- Wednesday, December 12, 2012: Mylopoulos, L., Lohfeld, L. Norman, G., Gurpreet, D., Eva., K. Renowned Physicians’ Perceptions of Expert Diagnostic Practice. Academic Medicine 2012 87(10): 1-5
- Wednesday, November 14, 2012: Wilkerson, L., Wimmers, P., Doyle, L., Uijtdehaage, S. Two perspectives on the effects of a curriculum change: student experience and the United States Medical Licensing Examination, Step 1. Academic Medicine 2007 (Supplement); 82(10):S117-S120
- Wednesday, October 10, 2012: Shepard, L. The role of assessment in a learning culture. Educational Researcher
- Wednesday, September 12, 2012: (no journal club scheduled)
- Tuesday, June 26, 2012: Viewing ‘strugglers’ through a different lens: how a self-regulated learning perspective can help medical educators with assessment and remediation. Durning, S., Cleary, T., Sandars, J., Hemmer, P., Kokotailo, P., Artino, A. Academic Medicine 2011;86(4):488-495.
- Tuesday, May 22, 2012: What drives students’ self-directed learning in a hybrid PBL curriculum. Lee, Y., Mann, K., Blye, F. Advances in Health Sciences Education 2010;15:425-437.
- Tuesday, April 24, 2012: Feedback in clinical medical education. Ende, J. JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association. 1983;250(6):777-781.
- Tuesday, March 27, 2012: Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One’s Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments. J. Kruger and D. Dunning. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 1999; 77: 6:121-1134.
- Tuesday, March 06, 2012: Lyss-Lerman P, Teherani A, Aagaard E, Loeser H, Cooke M, Harper GM. What training is needed in the fourth year of medical school? Acad Med 2009; 84:823-9. PMID: 19550170.
- Tuesday, February 28, 2012: Medical Students’ Perceptions of Their Teachers’ and Their Own Cultural Competency: Implications for Education. Thompson et al. Journal of General Internal Medicine [JGIM] 2010; 25(Suppl):91-94.
- Tuesday, February 14, 2012: Using electronic flashcards to promote learning in medical students: retesting versus restudying. Schmidmaier et al., Medical Education 2011;45:1101-1110.
- Tuesday, January 24, 2012: A ‘Safe Space’ for Learning and Reflection: One School’s Design for Continuity With a Peer Group Across Clinical Clerkships. Calvin L. Chou et al, Academic Medicine 2011;86(no. 12):1560-1565.
- Tuesday, January 10, 2012: A New Approach to Learning How to Teach: medical students as instructional designers. Sean H. Novak et al., Medical Education Online, published 14 July 2011 (DOI: 10.3402/meo.v16i0.7252) http://med-ed-online.net/index.php/meo/index
- Tuesday, December 13, 2011: Medical Students’ Self-Reported Empathy and Simulated Patients’ Assessments of Student Empathy: An Analysis of Gender and Ethnicity. Berg, K. et al 2011. Academic Medicine 86(8) 984-8
- Tuesday, November 22, 2011: (no session)
- Tuesday, November 08, 2011: “A Morning Since Eight of Just Pure Grill”: A Multischool Qualitative Study of Student Abuse. Reese, C.; Monroux, L. 2011. Academic Medicine 86(11) 1374-82
- Tuesday, October 25, 2011: Changing the Culture in Medical Education to Teach Patient Safety. Kirch, D.; Boysen, P. 2010. Health Affairs 29(9) 1600-4.
- Tuesday, October 11, 2011: How Much is Too Much Reading for Medical Students? Assigned Reading and Reading Rates at One Medical School. Klatt, E.; Klatt, C. 2011. Academic Medicine 86 1079-8
- Tuesday, September 27, 2011: Tensions in Informed Self-Assessment: How the Desire for Feedback and Reticence to Collect and Use It Can Conflict. Mann, K. et al 2011. Academic Medicine 86 (9) 1120-27
- Tuesday, September 13, 2011: Six Ways Problem-Based Learning Can Sabotage Patient-Centered Medical Education. MacLeod, A. 2011. Academic Medicine 86 (7) 818-25
- Tuesday, August 23, 2011: Ready or Not? Expectations of Faculty and Medical Students for Clinical Skills Preparation for Clerkships. Wenrich, M. et al 2010. Medical Education Online
- Tuesday, August 09, 2011: Medical Students’ Attitudes about Team-Based Learning in a Pre-Clinical Curriculum. Parmelee, D. et al 2009. Medical Education Online
- Tuesday, July 26, 2011: Adding emotional stressors to training in simulated cardiopulmonary arrest enhances participant performance. S. DeMaria, Jr., et al (Mt. Sinai), Medical Education 2010:44:1006-1015.
- Tuesday, July 12, 2011: Ideas from the IAMSI Meeting: Three faculty members who attended the IAMSE annual meeting will summarize research from the meeting that relate to the NxGen Curriculum. Learn about research on other medical schools’ programs and discuss how these ideas can be applied at UVa. IAMSE is the International Association of Medical Science Educators (www.iamse.org).
- Tuesday, October 12, 2010: Kroncke, KD. Computer-based Learning Versus Practical Course in Pre-clinical Education: Acceptance and Knowledge Retention. Medical Teacher. 32(5): 408-13. 2010.
- Tuesday, September 14, 2010: Crouch, C.; Mazur, E. Peer Instruction: Ten Years of Experience and Results. Am. J. Phys. 69 (9), 970-977. 2001.
- Tuesday, August 24, 2010: McLachlan, J.; Finn, G.; MacNaughton, J. The Conscientiousness Index: A Novel Tool to Explore Students’ Professionalism. Academic Medicine 84(5), 559-65 (2009).
- Tuesday, August 10, 2010: Wayne, N., et. al. Gender Differences in Leadership Amongst First-Year Medical Students in the Small-Group Setting. Academic Medicine. 85(8):1276-81. (2010)
- Tuesday, July 27, 2010: Nofziger, A., et. al 2010. Impact of peer assessment on the professional development of medical students: a qualitative study. Academic Medicine. 85(1):140-7.
- Tuesday, July 13, 2010: Koles, P., et. al 2005. Active learning in a Year 2 pathology curriculum. Medical Education, 39(10), p. 1045-1055.
- Tuesday, June 08, 2010: (no session)
- Tuesday, May 11, 2010: (no session)
- Tuesday, April 27, 2010: Searle, Nancy S., Haidet, Paul, Kelly, P Adam, Schneider, Virginia F., Seidel, Charles L., Richards, Boyd F. Team Learning in Medical Education: Initial Experiences at Ten Institutions. Academic Medicine 78: 10 (2003): S55-S58.
- Tuesday, April 13, 2010: White C. B., Kumagai A. K., Ross P. T., Fantone J. C. A qualitative exploration of how the conflict between the formal and informal curriculum influences student values and behaviors. Medical Teacher 1999: 21: 141-143
- Tuesday, March 23, 2010: R.M. Harden and N. Stamper., What is a spiral curriculum?, Medical Teacher 1999, 21: 141-143
- Tuesday, March 09, 2010: Woods N, Neville A, Levinson A, Howey E, Oczkowski W, Norman G., The Value of Basic Science in Clinical Diagnosis., Acad Med. 2006. 81 (10 Suppl); S124-S127.
- Tuesday, February 23, 2010: (1.) David A. Hirsh, M.D., Barbara Ogur, M.D., George E. Thibault, M.D., and Malcolm Cox, M.D. “Continuity” as an Organizing Principle for Clinical Education Reform., N Engl J Med 356;8: 858-866 (2007) (2.) David M. Irby. Educational Continuity in Clinical Clerkships. N Engl J Med 356;8 (2007)
- Tuesday, February 09, 2010: Harold Pashler, Mark McDaniel, Doug Rohrer, and Robert Bjork, Learning Styles:Concepts and Evidence., Psychological Science in the Public Interest 9(3) 105 – 119. (2009)
- Tuesday, January 26, 2010: White, CB. Smoothing out Transitions: How Pedagogy Influences Medical Students’ Achievement of Self-Regulated Learning Goals., Advances in Health Sciences Education, v12 n3 p279-297 Aug 2007
- Tuesday, January 12, 2010: Prince, M., Does Active Learning Work? A Review of the Research. Journal of Engineering Education 93: 223-231 (2004)