Award: $1,500 and a gift
Deadline: Friday, June 24, 2016
Purpose: The University of Virginia School of Medicine Awards for Excellence in Teaching recognize faculty who excel in teaching students, including medical students, biomedical sciences (BIMS) PhD candidates, or MPH candidates. This award is not intended for GME activities.
Criteria: Characteristics that may exemplify teaching excellence include being outstanding as a classroom instructor, laboratory research mentor, small group discussion leader, dissection group tutor, clinical instructor, student advisor, curriculum innovator, course director, student advocate, or director of student research. GME activities are not appropriate criteria for this award.
Who is eligible? Awardees must be faculty members of the University of Virginia School of Medicine with a rank of Assistant Professor or above who have not received the Robley Dunglison Award, the Robert Bennett Bean Award, or the University of Virginia School of Medicine Award for Excellence in Teaching within the past three years.
Who may nominate? Any student (medical student, biomedical sciences (BIMS) PhD candidate, or MPH candidate) may nominate one fulltime faculty member per year according to the criteria listed above. All faculty and students will receive a copy of the call for nominations.
Selection Process: The Selection Committee will review all nominations and select up to five awardees. It will be composed of the following:
- The School of Medicine’s Senior Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and Faculty Development will be the non-voting Chair of the Selection Committee
- The Vice President of the Mulholland Society
- The President of the 4th year class
- One student selected by the Associate Dean for Student Affairs
- The President of the Graduate Biosciences Society
- The Vice President of the Graduate Biosciences Society
- One student selected by the Associate Dean for Graduate and Medical Sciences Programs
- The most recent Dunglison awardee
- The most recent Bean awardee
- The Co-Chairs of the Academy of Distinguished Educators
- One Academy of Distinguished Educators member named by the Senior Associate Dean
The nomination packet should include the following:
- The University of Virginia School of Medicine Award for Excellence in Teaching Nomination Form
- Primary nominating letter from a student (medical student, biomedical sciences (BIMS) PhD candidate, or MPH candidate) (1 page)
- Executive summary from a faculty member familiar with the nominee’s teaching/mentoring (it is recommended that the primary nominating party contact a faculty member who is familiar with the nominee’s teaching activities). This summary should describe the nominee’s teaching/mentoring activities and include supporting evidence of the nominee’s educational excellence and worthiness for the award (1 page limit).
- Up to 3 additional letters/testimonials from students (medical students, biomedical sciences (BIMS) PhD candidates, or MPH candidates) and/or trainees (postdoctoral fellows) (1 page limit per letter)
- An updated curriculum vitae
- Relevant portions of the teaching portfolio (optional)
Please send an electronic copy of the nomination packet to Ashley Ayers.
Phone number: (434) 924-8497
Award Presentation: The award winners will be announced by the Dean. The Dean will notify each awardee’s Department Chair. The Dean’s Office will be responsible for appropriate publicity in University and non-University publications. The Mulholland and Graduate Biosciences Societies will announce the award winners to the relevant student bodies.
List of past award recipients.