Welcome & Orientation Overview
Welcome to the University of Virginia and the School of Medicine! We are thrilled to have you as a new colleague and and look forward to supporting you as you make distinctive contributions as an educator, researcher, and patient care provider. A number of offices from across the Health System and University have come together to design a streamlined clinical faculty orientation and onboarding experience that will welcome you to academic medicine at UVa, connect you with mentors and Health System leaders, and assist you in completing a number of employment requirements. During CFO, you will have the opportunity to:
- Connect with leaders and colleagues
- Have lunch with your mentor
- Explore faculty wellness resources
- Work on required training
- Discuss UVa and/or UPG benefits
- Get Health System ID badge
- Sign up for parking
- Complete required HR paperwork
- Meet with key Health System personnel
Clinical faculty orientation includes activities that begin with the signed offer letter through your first week of employment. As a new clinical faculty member, orientation is your first step in the onboarding process and is focused on four core components:
- Compliance: To assist new faculty in completing required employment paperwork and training;
- Provisioning: To ensure new faculty have access (ID badge, parking, computer systems) and supplies for office, labs, etc.;
- Education: To provide new faculty relevant and timely information about UVa’s mission, vision, values, benefits, policies, resources, etc.; and
- Connections: To connect new faculty to mentors, colleagues, supervisors, Health System leaders, and new faculty support resources.
Note: New faculty who start mid-month or on another date are welcome to register for orientation. If the start date will prevent them from attending the July 1, August 3, or September 1 orientation sessions, the new hire will work with their hiring department to complete orientation requirements. Please contact us with any questions.
Onboarding will help you develop as an engaged contributor and enable you to achieve clinical, research, and educational excellence. Over the course of your first year at UVa, onboarding programs will provide you with personal support and resources to help you integrate into your new position through:
- Interpersonal network development;
- Early career support; and
- Strategy engagement and direction
Please contact us with any questions.